18 December 2018
Who says New Year, says new challenges, new goals and especially need of change! What can we do to avoid giving too much influence to this trend on the activities of several companies?
- How to avoid dealing with a wave of resignations in January?
- How to ensure that your employees are engaged and want to grow within your company rather than leave?
The team at Pearls HR proposes small and simple actions that will be beneficial to the organizational culture within companies and that may create a much more positive work environment and help maintain a motivated and unified team.
First of all, you need to realize that although you have established values and a corporate culture, it is not enough to simply say it or write it down, it is essential to bring it to life within your organization!
Take concrete actions and show your employees that you not only care about them, but also their well-being and that you are paying attention to their needs.
1. First, we suggest you organize or schedule activities regularly, which bring employees together and help them build their sense of belonging.
- The more people spend and share positive moments together, the more they want to get up every morning and go to work to be with their colleagues.
2. Next, offer a healthy work environment that not only respects the values of the company, but also that respects the personal lives of your employees.
- Keep in mind that work-family/personal life balance has been a major concern for the last few years. This created a growing need for flexibility in work schedule and a rise for teleworking, to offer a good balance between work and personal life.
3. Companies can evaluate the possibility of offering flexible hours to employees and as some companies already do, impose “core business hours” i.e. from 9AM to 3PM for meetings and allow their employees to complete their work day where they prefer, office or home.
- Increasingly, teleworking is becoming a necessity that should not be neglected or banned. Recognize the work done outside your walls. This will encourage the involvement of your employees and the growth of your business.
- Lighten the stress of your employees by allowing them to avoid major traffic hours and you will realize how much your employees will be willing to do more, they will be more productive and they will be much happier too.
4. Once the work environment is taken care of, do not forget to supervise the managers.
- A good employee is not necessarily a good leader, but leadership can be learned. It is important to provide the right tools to yours leaders/managers so that they can manage their teams well and especially create a good relationship with their employees.
- Unfortunately, many people leave their jobs because of a relational conflict or an inconsistency with their values, when they are contrasting with the values of their manager. It is therefore wrong to believe that the reason for leaving is the lack of commitment and mobilization towards the company. It is essential to ensure that the leadership of your managers is align with the values of the company, to avoid loosing loyal employees and create a high turnover rate. In many companies, managers become the messengers of high management. It is thus imperative to ensure that the message being conveyed is representative of how you want to treat your employees.
5. Remember to value the knowledge and skills of your employees to give them the opportunity to grow in their position and therefore do more than what is expected.
- Train people internally to develop more skills, more flexibility in their daily tasks and make them want to learn more. This will allow you to fulfill the needs temporarily in case of departure of an employee (holidays, sick leave, dismissal, etc.), but also you will avoid recruiting a new talent externally.
- Be aware of internal potential talent to enable employees to apply to open positions within the organization. Initiate an ambassador / referral program, thus employees will feel that they are considered, they are part of the team and the solution to continually improve well-being at work. After all, we all know a person with whom we would like to rework who has already crossed our professional path.
6. Finally, it is sometimes impossible to retain all your employees, after trying when possible, but make sure to take the time to do an exit interview, to understand the motivations of the employees who leave and to know the real reason behind their decision to pursue their career elsewhere.
- These meetings will allow you to possibly avoid other resignations in other similar situations. You will also be able to benefit from it by obtaining information allowing you to make interventions and / or training to improve the everyday life of your employees.
To finish this off on a good note, invest time in defining your corporate culture, if you have not done so already and make sure to bring it to life!
You will be grateful and your employees will thank you!